April 17, 2005

The Sky is Crying

Actually, I think that's just rain. Still, it seems appropriate because I have to leave for Cascade in about an hour. Dad is meeting Matt and I up there and we'll get the RV set up, then Matt and Dad will leave me standing at the window looking forlornly out the itty-bitty window watching them leave.

It reminds me of Family Night at Outdoor School when I was in fifth grade. Up until that time, I'd been to maybe two slumber parties and a bunch of overnights at my grandparents' house. But that was it for familial separation and I was miserable at this week-long camp. I'm not sure why I was so wretchedly home-sick, but I made myself physcially ill over it. My parents and little brother showed up for Family Night, and I basically insisted I was going home with them that night. There was no way I'd be able to stand there watching their tail-lights leaving without me.

The first person I told was my father, who was in complete agreement. Then I told my mother, old Tough Love herself, and she said I was staying there and that it would be good for me to quit being such a baby. In fact, she got my teacher in on this, and they were both trying in their totally constructive way to make me stay. What did I do? As I was sobbing, I punched my mother right in the tits and ran out and threw myself in the car. My father was furious that my mother tried to make me stay. Looking back, (and I realized it even then) it was a miracle they didn't get divorced any sooner than they did.

Anyway, after that sad little story, I'll sign off for the day. I'll be getting back on during the week and updating to let you all know how it's going up there in the hinterlands. And if any of you are Verizon customers and want to chat with me for free in the evenings, e-mail me and I'll give you my new cell number and you can keep me company.